In those early days I started off with tips and acrylic, then progressed onto gel. However recently I have been Lee-Anne's guinea-pig in trying out Shellac from CND: a product that "goes on like polish, wears like a gel and removes in minutes." (All info can be found here)
I'll have had this on for one week this thursday, and I have to say I am quite impressed.
- Firstly and most vitally, it stops me biting my nails. I HAVE to have something on my nails or all my nail-growing efforts go to waste and they get gnawed off in seconds. Disgusting habit I know.
- No chips or fade - the colour is still lovely and shiny. However I am yet to test whether the shine will still be there once I put a polish over the top and then remove after a couple of days.
- Feels more natural/light than acrylic or gel. Whilst gel is more "natural" than acrylic in the sense it grows out a bit better with your own nail and is less prone to lifting from the cuticle, over time and after several nail sessions it can become really thick and fake looking...does that make sense?!
- Good range of colours (Lee-Anne only had the basics, but theres quite an extensive range on the website)
- Cheaper than gel/acrylics - I was £18.00 for a set, compared to around £30.00 for gel/acrylics. Obviously prices will vary depending on area/beautician etc.