Tuesday 11 September 2012

Fruit can be funky?! (Diet post)

(Before I go any further, I do apologise for the cheesy title. My brain is tired, and my laptop is acting like a 2 year old child having a tantrum. Le sigh).

As I mentioned previously in this post, I am on a bit of a health (well exercise) kick at the moment, and have been trying to eat the best that I can -as Jodie Marsh says, "eat clean, train dirty!"
I don't know about you, but as much as I do genuinely like fruit and veg, I actually almost find it a chore (apples in particular) to eat it, therefore if I can pack in my 5-a-day by any easy means, i'm all for it, and so when I discoverd these I was so excited!

The following two types of snacks can be found generally in the 'nuts' section of a supermarket (so for example in Asda I found them on a stand at he end of the fruit/veg aisle, along with dried fruit and nuts, and in Morrisons I found them in the kind of 'miscellaneous' aisle, usually next to the cereal aisle!), and appear to be marketed towards kids packed lunches. Don't let this throw you, people, fruit can be fun for adults too...!

Bear - Pure Fruit Yo Yo's

  • Not dissimilar to the fruit winders of old (remember them?)
  • 2 fruit Yo Yo's per packet
  • 1 roll (yo yo) = 1 of your five a day!
  • Can be bought in single packs (2 yo yo's per pack) for around 50p each, or in packs of 5 (therefore 10 fruit rolls/yo yo's) for around £2 - supermarket prices vary and special offers can apply.
  • Different flavours available such as strawberry, raspberry, peach and blueberry (FYI, strawberry is my favourite).
  • Typical ingredients (in a strawberry roll, for example) are: apples, pears, strawberries, sweet potato extract. And that's it. Nothing else. Nada! (Making them suitable for vegetarians/vegans)
  • Only 27 kcal per roll and the only sugars are those found naturally in the fruit.
I love these. I'm also sad and love the super cute packaging, which says things like 'bear code' (instead of bar code, geddit?) and has a postal address of 'The big cave, Deepest darkest woods, PO Box 70712, London! Very handy to just chuck in your bag for a quick snack should you get peckish.


Fruit Bowl - School Bars


  •  5 bars per box (as far as i'm aware you can't buy these individually)
  • 1 bar = 1 of your 5 a day
  • Boxes retail at supermarkets (definitely Morrisons, didn't see them in Asda) for an RRP of around £1.50, alhough Morrisons currently have them on special offer for £1.
  • Different flavours available, although this particular kind (apple) are AMAZING and my fave!
  • Contain more ingredients than the Bear fruit rolls, such as vegetable oil and gelling agent, but is still made with real fruit with natural colourings/flavourings and is a source of fibre.
  • Gluten free and suitable for vegetarians
  • 1 bar contains 67kcal .
Another little bar that I love to keep in my bag 'just in case', these are a bit more substantial than the Bear fruit rolls, but taste just as yummy. I also almost feel a bit naughty eating them cause it's like you're having a chewy sweet or something, but without the bad stuff!


I am so glad I have discovered both these types of snacks, and will definitely be trying out the different types and stocking up (i've already bought 3 extra boxes of the apple fruit bars!).
They make obtaining your 5 a day target so much easier, and are a lot more tasty and exciting to eat (as cheesy as that sounds) than some of the foods out there!

Have you tried anything similar that you would recommend?


2 comments:

  1. I could live off those YoYos! They're so good!!! I'd like to try those School Bars but i've always thought they looked a bit biscuity but I'll probably get them now and see! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh you should try the Nakd bars, esp choc orange! It's one of your 5 a day which is amazing and it tastes like chocolate lol! I also love the dried fruit bars you get from Holland and Barrett, no idea what theyre called but theyre usually with the snacks or at the counter, stopped buying them now cos theyre so expensive at like 79p! Used to be 2 or 3 for £1!!! xx

      Delete