Wednesday 15 August 2012

Review: Lush Tea Tree Water



I used to wonder if the elusive 'Holy Grail' products really did exist (for me anyway), but I am going to put it out there and proclaim that I think this particular product has ticked the box in the toner category!

A couple of years ago I would never have bothered with a toner, but now I can never be without one and am a great advocate of the old 'cleanse, tone, moisturise' mantra.
I like the 'reassurance' of a toner after cleansing to ensure that I have removed all my makeup/general dirt and grime - which is really what a proper cleanser should do, but I have yet to fill the HG category for that one yet:  all suggestions on a postcard please (or just in the comments box..!).

I bought the Lush Tea Tree Water on a whim (I usually thoroughly research my products through blog reviews etc. before buying them!) choosing it from the range of 8 toners and 'facial steamers' available (others include 'Breath of Fresh Air', which is ideal for mature skin, for example).
I opted for the larger 250g (even though it's a liquid. Odd.) bottle at a cost of £7.25. It is also available in a smaller 100g size for £3.95, which would be good for travel or just to try out (I must have been feeling reckless when I went for the big bottle!).

Lush say it is a toner water that Comes to the aid of skin that has emergencies. Tea tree is a wonder antibacterial, antiseptic and antimicrobial ingredient fr anyone with oily or spot prone skin.

As with all Lush products, it is handmade using fresh ingredients and is vegan in this instance as it contains no animal by-products (and is of course not tested on animals):
  • Tea tree water - used for it's clarifying and antibacterial action.
  • Grapefruit water - used to enliven the senses and brings necessary minerals to the skin.
  • Juniperberry water - helps elimiate toxins and build up from the skin to revive your complexion.
  • Limonene - which apparently occurs naturally in essential oils
  • Perfume (I don't understand the need!)
  • Methylparaben - a preservative.
I wouldn't say I have acne-prone skin or suffer terribly from spots, but I do get quite a few round about 'that time of the month', or when i'm stressed, and I love how using this toner helps battle and remove pesky spots - usually the morning after use they have dried out and are much smaller.

Lush also say that it can be used as a quick facial refresher or to cool the skin, and recently, when it's been hot and humid outside or just after exercising, I have been spraying it directly onto my face for a bit of a refresher (when used as a toner I apply to a cotton wool pad first).
The spray dispenser is also something I really like - no danger of spilling/overdoing (and therefore wasting) any product here ladies!

This definitely gets a big thumbs up from me - it may be considered on the pricy side by some, but it works and I like it, and I love the fact that once it's finished I can take it back to Lush (with 4 other containers) to exchange for a free facemask!

Have you tried this? Or do you have a favourite toner you would recommend?


2 comments:

  1. Great review Melanie! I've just come across your blog! I love toners that come in spray bottles like that because you don't waste as much product as you do if you pour some onto a cotton wool pad, plus you can use it as a facial mist too! Haven't tried this one but I love the Garnier Fresh Essentials one I talked about on my blog (which I decant into a spray bottle!) and also love the Boots Botanics Rosewater Toner!

    http://cosmetic-queen-bee.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooo i'll have to try some of the Botanics one - I used to really like their eyemakeup remover before they changed it! x

      Delete