Thursday 13 January 2011

An unlikely "like"...

Good evening Gals (and possibly Guys...)
Just thought i'd do a quick review on something I didn't think i'd like but turned out to love them...
"Coleen" EDT and "Coleen Black" EDT by Coleen McLoughlin/Rooney (both frangrances in pic = 30ml)

I actually ended up getting these perfumes (which came as part of a gift set) through a swap with my sister - I originally had been given the Kate Moss perfume, which my sister preferred over the Coleen ones (she works in Semi Chem and thus has turned into a slight perfume expert/snob!).

I have to admit I didn't have very high expectations for these perfumes, simply because (being as sceptical as I am):
  • I'm not generally a fan of celebrity perfumes
  • The packaging looks a bit cheap and tacky,
  • They are an EDT rather than an EDP which doesn't last as long on the skin
  • They only retail for around £16-£20 (depending on size), and I've tended to associate price with quality
  • My sister in all her perfume knowledge had not painted them in the best light.
However on spraying these fragrances I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. I had been expecting them to be sickly sweet (as with many celebrity perfumes - Britney Spears' for example) but they're actually a more "mature" sweetness (does that make sense?!) that someone like my Mum (who's 50) could wear as an every day fragrance.

The original Coleen fragrance has been described as a soft citrus floral with stunning yet delicate notes of sweet orange and soft citrus. Heart notes of lily of the valley and a soft rose wrapped in a marine accord. The base has sensual undertones of patchouli, amber, musk and cedar wood. Coleen is a young, fun and fresh scent, whilst the "Black" perfume is heavier, more confident and yet still undeniably feminine and delicate. Top notes of bergamot, grapefruit and hazelnut praline give way to a floral heart of rose, violet, gardenia, lily and raspberry. The base notes of woods, amber, musk and vanilla ensure the fragrance has a long lasting depth.
Lovely descriptions I think you'll agree. Both scents remind me of lovely, comforting, fresh smells like talcum powder, washing up powder and vanilla, and although there is a slight difference in the perfumes, there isn't a dramatic difference - I certainly wouldn't say the "Black" perfume is at all heavy or something you could wear as an evening fragrance (indeed i've been wearing it during the day).

Their staying power has actually also exceeded my expectations - I put it on in the morning and there's still a definate trace of it still there by lunchtime (although I usually do a "top-up" round about then!).
Because of the price I don't feel as guilty about generously spraying it on as I might do with my much more expensive perfumes such as "Angel" or "Alien", and I would definately consider repurchasing these once they run out.

What do you think? Do you have any perfumes that have exceeded your expectations?

Melanie x

0 comments:

Post a Comment