Friday 22 April 2011

Urban Decay Primer Potion Vs Mac Prep and Prime


Happy Easter weekend lovelies!

Now I don't know about you, but I am on a CONSTANT mission to find products that keep my make-up looking fresh and with that "just applied" look. So far on the face/foundation front i'm not doing so well (save for splashing out on Estee Lauder double wear which really doesn't budge, but i'm trying to do things on a budget where possible!), but recently i've been trying out some eyeshadow primers: MAC's prep and prime, and the infamous Urban Decay Primer Potion (I have the big 16.3ml version which I got as part of a giftset ages ago). 


Part of a "prep and prime" range including facial, eye, lash and lip primers, Prep & Prime Eye is described by MAC as A light textured cream to wear on the eyes as an undercoat to eye makeup. Primes the lids. Smooths textures, neutralises lid colour. It is £12.00 for 5g of product, and is available in light, medium and medium dark (I have medium as light wasn't available when I purchased).


Urban Decay Primer Potion, on the other hand, is also part of a (fairly newly developed) primer range offered by Urban Decay, although the primer potion was one of their original, and arguably the best, products. Beauty Bay describe it as a primer unmatched by any other in the beauty industry, and it's magic formula is heavy in silicon, making it very smooth and silky on application. It also is approximately £12 (varying slightly by retailer - Beauty Bay for example are offering it for £11.50), and although originally only available in the original nude shade, it is now also available in "Sin" which is a lovely champagne colour which can either be used as a base for eyeshadow, or on its own.

So what do I prefer? i think the results speak for themselves:


 
Eye primed with Urban Decay Primer Potion at 8am.
Eye at 5pm. The majority of my eyeshadow is still perfectly in place, and my eyeliner hasn't budged.



 Eye primed with MAC Prep & Prime Eye at 8am
Eye at 5pm. As you can see my eyeshadow has creased in the middle of my eye, and my eyeliner looks to have bled slightly, as well as fading at the "wing." I also sometimes tend to get transfer on my upper lid.


If you haven't guessed, i'm definitely Team Urban Decay on this one! I absolutely love it, and I think it's the first product that I can actually honestly say it does what it claims to do! I'm not so keen on the somewhat impractical bottle shape (i'm going to have to resort to sawing mine open soon!), and some people might think £12 for a small bottle is impractical, but honestly i'm willing to spend that bit more for it just because it works.

The MAC product on the other hand, I am not keen on at all. It's far too creamy and doesn't last on my lids at all, although admittedly I do notice the difference in terms of my eyeliner staying power if I don't wear it, as it does help my liner to stick a bit more, just not my actual eyeshadow!

Given that they are the same price, i'd advise anyone looking for an eyeshadow primer to definitely go with the Primer Potion. I realise Urban Decay products can be slightly more difficult to get a hold of (other than ordering online), but its worth tracking them down, especially if you've got a large branch of Boots near you.
I just wish the highstreet would produce a good eyeshadow primer to rival primer potion!

Have you found any?

Melanie x



0 comments:

Post a Comment