Monday 4 April 2011

Review: Garnier Simply Essentials 2 in 1 Make-up Remover

Hello everybody, sorry for the recent slight drought in posting - I'm actually in the middle of compiling a list/description of my favourite bloggers/YouTubers, so bear with me on that one, but for now i've got a wee review for you in the form of Garnier Simply Essentials 2 in 1 Make-up Remover..
(I do apologise for the slight fuzziness/rubbish quality of this pic - i've had to use the photo function on my dad's camcorder as my camera is currently not working!)

Ever since Ruth Crilly mentioned Bioderma Sensibio H2O Cleansing Solution in one of her videos I was desperate to try some, but not so keen on the average price of £14.00 (depending on where you source it from as it comes from France), therefore I decided to try and find something similar not only closer to home, but at a bargain price for penniless people like moi!
When I was browsing in my local branch of Wilkinsons I happened to come across this Garnier 2 in 1 Make-up Remover, for a bargain price of £2.99 for 200ml (even using my maths this is already better value for money: Bioderma is 500ml for £14 - you could buy an average 4 and a bit bottles of the Garnier cleanser instead for the same amount of money!). Like most Garnier products this is widely available to purchase in the likes of Boots and Superdrug, but also supermarkets and "discount" stores (indeed such as Wilkinsons), and of course online.

Like the Bioderma product, the Garnier make-up remover seems to be aimed at those with sensitive skin, and whilst my skin isn't particularly sensitive, I am making a particular effort to be a bit more kind on it.
The packaging states that there is no perfume or alcohol contained in this dermatologically and opthalmologically tested product, but has the benefit of plant extract and Pro-Vitamin B5 (otherwise known as pantothenic acid, which has natural broad abilities to moisturize, soothe, heal and regenerate the skin), making it gentle enough for even contact lense wearers to use whilst still tough enough to remove waterproof mascara.
To check the Garnier promise of using whereever possible, naturally derived active ingredients which have been carefully extracted to perserve their quality and purity, I decided to investigate the ingredients list:
AQUA/WATER
HEXYLENE GLYCOL - clear, practically colourless liquid used as a solvent/viscosity decreasing agent
GLYCERINE - A natural by-product of the soap-making process, which has a number of applications, including (amongst other things) ice-cream, tabacco, and of course, skin lotions.
POLOXAMER 184 - Part of a group of other poloxamers which can range from colourless liquids to pastes and white solids, they help clean skin/care by helping water to mix with oil and dirt so they can be rinsed away.
DIHYDROCHOLETH-30 - (I couldn't find any "normal translation" for this!)
DISODIUM COCOAMPHODIACETATE - Made from the fatty acids from coconut oil, this also helps clean the skin/hair by helping water mix with oil/dirt so that they can be washed away.
DISODIUM EDTA - EDTA, also known as edetic acid, and its salts were developed to counteract the effects of hard water and heavy metal ions. By binding with ions they prevent the metals from being deposited onto the skin.
PANTHENOL - derived from Vitamin B5, it acts as a lubricant on the skin's surface, giving it a soft/smooth appearance.
POLYAMINOPROPYL - disinfectant and preservative used for disinfection on the skin.
BIGUANIDE - part of a class of disinfectants
PROPYLENE GLYCOL -  works as a humescent which causes moisture retention.
ROSA GALLICA EXTRACT / ROSA GALLICA FLOWER EXTRACT - rose scent
PHENOXYETHANOL - often used as an alternative to parabens, it is used as a preservative
SODIUM CHLORIDE - salt!
SODIUM GLYCOLATE - Sodium Glycolate is the salt of Glycolic Acid and is used in cosmetics and personal care products primarily as an exfoliant or buffering agent, but also seen as pH adjusters and skin-conditioning agents. It is considered an AHA, or an alpha hydroxy acid, a type of ingredient used to diminish the lines on the skin by acting as a humectant, or absorbing “moisture in air and by exfoliating action to break the bonds between dead skin cells

(Items highlighted in green are those also contained in the Bioderma product).
Most ingredient information derived from CosmeticsInfo.org

But does it actually work? YES. It's actually fab, and powers through make-up easily without irritating my eyes. This can be used all over the face, but I prefer to just use it on my eyes, which will make it last longer. To use you shake the bottle to mix the blue liquid (make-up remover) and clear liquid (cleansing water), and then (as in my cleansing routine post), I soak half a cotton pad in the mixture, place under each eye, then do the same to a pad on top of my eyelid. I let these settle for about 15-20 seconds to let the make-up remover get to work, then simply slide the pads off my eyes, et voila! quick and easy make-up removal! I love the fact i'm not having to rub at my eyes to get mascara etc off, and it doesn't irritate my eyes at all. Admittedly i've yet to try it with waterprooft mascara, but so far so good.

 If you are considering the Bioderma product or even just looking for a new make-up remover i'd really encourage you to try this first. Your purse will thank you!

Melanie x

2 comments:

  1. I always check out the ingredients first because of my sensitive skin, so this is very helpful when your getting stuff online

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the most detailed and helpful review I have ever seen!!
    I can actually tell how "sensitive" Garnier claims to be :)

    I am currently using Garnier for waterproof mascaras as it dissolves even the toughest of the makeups (but leaves an oily residue), and Bioderma for everyday makeup as I don't have to double cleanse afterwards!!

    ReplyDelete