Wednesday 21 March 2012

An Interview With...Beth, Birds Words


Technically, I should hate Beth.
She is an absolutely lovely lady, writes a brilliant blog, Birds Words (although not all about makeup may I hasten to add; you can read her 'so you just blog about makeup?' post here), and is absolutely GORGEOUS.

But that would be silly.

Being the kind soul that she is, Beth very kindly took up my offer to answer questions on everything girlie...


Blogging

What Inspired you to start your blog and/or YouTube channel?
I’ve always been interested in beauty and fashion, had been reading blogs for the past 2 years and really wanted to join in with likeminded people and share my own thoughts. One boring summer evening last September I decided I would start my own and I’m so glad I did.

♥ What would you like to achieve from your blog/channel?

I haven’t really got any goals as such - I enjoy blogging because I get to have a good old natter with fellow beauty-fanatics. Of course it would be lovely if anything did come of it but I never started it with those intentions and I just enjoy it as a hobby – I’ve always loved writing so I find it very rewarding on a personal level.

What advice would you give to someone thinking about starting their own blog?
Go for it. My only regret is that I didn’t start mine earlier and I wished I hadn’t hesitated over it for so long! There is very much a sense of community on Blogger and it makes it all worthwhile to know if somebody has read your post and found it helpful  or interesting to read in any way.

(Other than your own of course) What blogs/channels do you recommend?
SprinkleofGlitter of COURSE! I’m sure you’re all very much familiar with the lovely Louise but her posts make my day when I’ve had a cruddy day at work or suchlike and I just love the chatty nature of her posts.

If you could choose one celebrity to guest edit your blog for the day, who would you choose and why?
Probably Lauren Conrad because she is my absoloute style icon. Or Louie Spence – just for the laughs I suppose.


Makeup/Skincare/Haircare

Which celebrity do you think has the best overall makeup/hair style?
Lauren Conrad – she always looks effortlessly glamorous.

What one item (cosmetic or otherwise) could you not leave the house without?
MY COMB! Everybody who knows me knows about me and my partner in crime – the comb. It goes everywhere with me. I’ve left it at work a couple of times and haven’t known what to do with myself. I must admit im partial to backcombing my hair and no other comb gets it as ‘poofy’ as this one particular comb. I also feel a bit uneasy if I’ve left my concealer at home!

Do you ever go out without make-up on?
This is so awful to admit but not really. Unless I’m on holiday – that’s an exception!

What would you say is the best highstreet/drugstore line for each of the following, and do you recommend any products within each category:
A. Makeup - This is too hard to pick one specific brand. But you can’t go wrong with Mac. I’m loving Illamasqua blushes right now too.
B. Haircare - John Frieda and Lee Stafford. I always go for their shampoos and have yet to find a better range of hair care! If you have blonde hair and want to get rid of yellow then Lee Stafford purple shampoo is amazing! I’m also loving John Frieda’s blonde range.
C. Skincare -Clinique. I’ve sworn by it ever since I was a teenager and it’s always worked for my skin.

♥ Any makeup/skincare/haircare tips?
I find that a good primer and eyeshadow base makes a huge difference to my makeup. I rarely skip it. I’ve also never left my makeup on overnight and my skin has thanked me for that!


Style

How would you describe your style?
Very girly and dressy. I love my heels, pretty blouses and blazers. I often look a bit overdressed but I enjoy putting outfits together and experimenting with clothes.

Who's your biggest style influence/where do you draw inspiration from?
I can’t say I really draw inspiration from anybody in particular. I just go for what I know suits me.

Favourite place to shop?
So typical – Topshop. Although I love ASOS for dresses if I have any occasions or nights out lined up.

Highstreet or designer?

Highstreet all the way! I experiment so much with my clothing that it would be so silly to go out and splash a load of pennies on something I’ll wear once! I make an excuse for shoes though – the odd pair of expensive shoes is most definitely allowed.

Best fashion buy?
Day dresses. They’re so effortless and versatile. I love lace dresses at the moment.

What would you consider wardrobe essentials?
Plain vest tops, sheer blouses, black tights, bodycon skirts, skater dresses and a fitted blazer (and a nice pair of daytime heels!)

Fashion 'Do's' and 'don'ts'?
If you know something won’t suit you, don’t wear it for the sake of fashion. I often love certain trends but I never go near them because I know what suits my figure and my style.
Only wear what you feel comfortable in.


Thank you Beth for that little interview :)

If you have any bloggers that you would like me to interview, then please let me know.

Melanie x



0 comments:

Post a Comment